The name of the episode comes from the first episode of Star Trek: The Original Series: "The Cage", which was Neil's idea. Grover pushed hard to name the episode "Fap Klaxon", but was turned down.
- James had Wailua, which he both enjoyed and could not pronounce. BeerAdvocate
- Nicholas had Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. BeerAdvocate
- Neil had Sierra Nevada Summerfest Lager, which was warm, and 10 shots of espresso. BeerAdvocate
The Dark Knight Rises ReviewEdit
The Troika had only the night before seen the Dark Knight Rises, but before they could give their review, they had to pay respects to the victims of the Aurora Massacre. A toast is raised in the honor of the victims.
All the geeks enjoyed the film to varying degrees. Neither 'Designated' Dan Anderson nor Grover could abide by the criticism leveled against the film by James or Neil, particularly over Bane's voice.
On top of that, they discuss some of the trailers that preceded the film... or, as Grover called it, 'fap material'. The Hobbit, The Man of Steel, and Django Unchained.
- The Troika discuss breaking news about upcoming Marvel Cinematic Universe films: Iron Man 3, Thor: The Dark World, Captain America: Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy. Ant-Man,
- With the advent of 360's Buttered Popcorn Vodka, they bicker over whether or not the flavored-vodka craze has gone too far.
- A quadrephonic concert carried out my Primus is lusted after by Neil. He heads to Connecticut the week after the recording of this episode and misses his chance to see this concert by merely a few days.
- Listeners are treated to the first installment of the short lived 'What's New in the World of Who' segment, dealing with the first episode of the Seventh Series of Doctor Who, Asylum of the Daleks, as well as the second, Dinosaurs on a Spaceship, and the third, A Town Called Mercy. Grover laments the latter episode.
- The Walking Dead's maze at Universal Studios is discussed, which leads to the then-transpiring 'zombie-attacks' sweeping the nation.
- They try to review the Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 1 Blu-Ray, which quickly devolves into a discussion about how weak that season was.
- Grover's 1st: Underarmor's screen accurate Gotham Rogues jersey
- Grover's 2nd: A sonic screwdriver universal remote from ThinkGeek.com.
- James's: Playmates' new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles figures.
- Neil's: A floating collectibles display called the Levitron Revolution.
- Dan's: Converse Bane Chuck Taylors. ("Pure anarchy on a foot.")
Question of the NowEdit
"What were your formative geek moments."
- Hyundai ("heehundai")
- This episode begins with the first ever instance of 'Counting to Beer' (not just on the show, but probably in all of history), a ritual that would eventually become 'Cardassian Counting'.
- Neil wore a 'Flash' t-shirt, thus the references to being the Fastest Man Alive.
- The entire episode was recorded with the integrated mic in James's iMac.
- The 'That Guy' of this episode: Grover.
- Grover reveals that every time he bites into a buttered popcorn Jelly Belly, he wants to throw up.
- An official 3 Drunk Geeks cocktail is explained: 'the Mudcrab'.
- James reveals his favorite movie-snack: Reece's Pieces in his popcorn.
- James correctly predicts that the Statue of Liberty is a Weeping Angel. Oh, yeah: spoiler alert.
- The first reference to Neil's zombie nightmares is in this episode.
- There is sand in Connecticut. It's everywhere. Get used to it.